Master of Arts in Experiential Graphic Design
The Master of Arts in Experiential Graphic Design (MAxGD) is for those seeking a graphic design specialization with little or no previous experience in the area. Students may also use the degree as a complement to a bachelors degree in graphic design or another design field to enhance their skills and qualifications for employment. It can also be used to complement those students with an undergraduate degree in a graphic design area that would like to add an additional graduate level study to their coursework prior to entering the field.
This 30-credit degree focuses on preparing students for visual communication. The MAxGD provides a comprehensive exposure to all aspects of user experience, including but not exclusive to way-finding, exhibition design, interaction, information design, and placemaking.
Recent Student Work
As I Pace
Not Your Prey
Anyone applying for admission to the Master of Arts in Experiential Graphic Design program must complete the Iowa State University Graduate College online application. As part of the application, you will be asked to provide:
- Official academic transcripts indicating a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) and a minimum 3.0/4.0 GPA
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals from your educational or professional background who can most directly speak about your ability to complete graduate level course work and teaching duties.
- You will be asked within the application to provide the names and email addresses for your three references; when you submit the application, the three individuals will receive an email notification from ISU Admissions with a link to the recommendation form
- A statement of academic and personal interest including your career goals and reasons for applying for the program (500 word maximum)
- Please address why you have selected graphic design at Iowa State for graduate study, your specific graduate study objectives and professional goals after graduation, and your proposed area of inquiry (the questions you hope to investigate and the faculty you would like to work with and why)
- Digital portfolio (PDF or website), including at least 10 (but no more than 20) examples of your creative work; one project must demonstrate and explain your creative process through images and text
- PDF format must be in US letter, US tabloid, A4, or A3, and landscape orientation is preferred; PDF file size must be less than 20MB
- Links to video and audio content is encouraged, and if any projects involved collaboration or your were a member of a team please describe your role on the project
- If your portfolio is web-based, upload a PDF document that indicates the website where your portfolio may be viewed
- Resume, including scholarships, honors, awards, exhibitions, publications, outstanding extracurricular activities, employment experience, and research
- English Proficiency Exam (international applicants only)
- Financial statement (international applicants only)
The priority application submission date for fall admission and a graduate assistantship is February 1.
A Designer in the Making.
Find your place at Iowa State University’s College of Design, where we like to ask questions, poke and prod, create something new, and make a difference through design.