First Professional Master of Arts in Interior Design
The First Professional Master of Arts (MA) in Interior Design is suitable for master’s candidates interested in acquiring the skills to practice in the profession of Interior Design, but who do not have an undergraduate degree in the field or in a closely related design specialization.
The First Professional MA in Interior Design provides graduate-level studies in research methods, design process, human-centered approaches, and studio applications within interior design.
Anyone applying for admission to the First Professional Master of Arts in Interior Design program must complete the Iowa State University Graduate College online application. As part of the application, you will be asked to provide:
- Official academic transcripts indicating a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) and a minimum 3.0/4.0 GPA
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals from your educational or professional background who can most directly speak about your ability to complete graduate level course work and teaching duties
- You will be asked within the application to provide the names and email addresses for your three references; when you submit the application, the three individuals will receive an email notification from ISU Admissions with a link to the recommendation form
- A statement of academic and personal interest including your career goals and reasons for applying for the program (500 word maximum)
- Digital portfolio (PDF or website), including examples of your creative work
- A resume or CV
- English Proficiency Exam (international applicants only)
- Financial statement (international applicants only)
Please submit your application by February 1 for priority admission consideration and for graduate assistantship consideration. Spring entry not available.
A Designer in the Making
Find your place at Iowa State University’s College of Design, where we like to ask questions, poke and prod, create something new, and make a difference through design.