Bachelor of Science in Community and Regional Planning
Hands-On Practical Experience
Participate in a planning internship to earn course credit! While not required, an internship is highly recommended in your junior or senior year as a way to gain professional experience while still in school and help you obtain a professional position upon graduation.
A number of local and regional offices and agencies regularly offer internships during the academic year, and students obtain internships further afield during the summers. Interns have worked with the:
- City of Ames
- Des Moines Metropolitan Area Planning Organization
- City of Ankeny
- Regional councils of governments
- Nongovernmental organizations
To receive course credit, you’ll need to:
- Develop a work plan with a professional planner
- Maintain a professional journal regarding their experiences
- Obtain a performance evaluation from the supervisor at the end of the internship
Together with our Career Services Office, we will help you find internship opportunities in your preferred location whether domestic or abroad. Our internship and employment website, CyHire is a great resource for beginning your search.