Mission, Values & Vision
As part of our strategic planning process for 2013-2020, the College of Design adopted the following mission, values and vision statements.
Our mission is to:
Educate students to become successful designers, planners, artists and scholars who enhance human experience and improve the natural, social and built environment. Serve as a resource for Iowa and beyond through research, creative endeavors, extension and outreach.
Innovation, curiosity, collaboration, open exchange of ideas, diverse perspectives, environmental and social responsibility.
Our vision for the future:
Faculty, staff, students, alumni and partners will be leaders who imagine and respond to challenges and opportunities in a sustainable manner using innovative, interdisciplinary approaches and technologies.
This vision will be accomplished through progress on eight interrelated goals:
- Cultivate internal and external interdisciplinary partnerships to generate ideas and solutions—designs, plans, artworks, concepts—that address pressing challenges and opportunities and increase our understanding of the world.
- Promote the value of design in society.
- Continue to improve the quality of educational, research/creative extension and outreach programs.
- Promote a collegiate culture that nurtures the success and well-being of students, faculty and staff.
- Enhance opportunities for students to celebrate many peoples, cultures and places.
- Support and increase the diversity of backgrounds and perspectives represented in the college.
- Broaden access to the college’s knowledge, educational offerings and outreach programs.
- Develop the college’s resources—human, fiscal, physical—to maximize their impact by achieving a balance between enrollment, faculty, staff and program offerings.
In the college’s action plan for 2014-2016, we identified tactics that will be used to achieve and measure progress toward these goals.
Download a complete copy of the strategic plan for 2013-2020 and action plan for 2014-2016.