College Research Support
Design Research Seminars
The IDRO-sponsored Design Research Seminars are opportunities for College of Design faculty and staff to learn more about research topics and researchers and their scholarly work in the College of Design.
IDRO Friday Seminar 12:10 – 1:00 PM
Friday, Nov. 4, 2022
Location: Zoom (link below)
Gender-Inclusive Language in Languages with Grammatical Gender
IDRO Friday Seminar
Gender-Inclusive Language in Languages with Grammatical Gender: Problems and Prospects
While gender marking on English pronouns (he/she/they) poses both problems and prospects for gender-inclusive and -affirming language use, languages such as German, French and Hebrew, which mark gender not just on pronouns, but on all nouns, face much more complex predicaments and possibilities.
In this presentation, Lindsay Preseau, assistant professor of German in the Department of World Languages and Cultures, gives an overview of the current state of research in this area in Indo-European and Afro-Asiatic languages with grammatical gender and presents a case study of a project aiming to document and teach gender-inclusive forms in German.
Please click this URL to start or join.
Or, go to https://iastate.zoom.us/join and enter meeting ID: 949 5103 7422 and password: 924091
Previous Seminar Recordings (to be added)
- Publish or Perish: Tips and Tricks for Impact: Sharon Wohl, Interim Associate Dean for Faculty Success (10/28/2022)
- Viewing Distance: Remixing the Archives of the Military-Industrial Complex: Evan Hume, Assistant Professor of Arts and Visual Culture (10/14/2022)
- From Rail Town to Trail Town: Austin Dunn, Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture (9/30/2022)
- Data + Library = Love: Megan O’Donnell and Erin Ridnour, ISU Parks Library (10/7/2022)
- A Introduction to the JSTOR/Artstor Content Manager: Jeff Algers, Librarian III and Subject Liaison for Design and Music (9/23/2022)
- Physical + Digital + Virtual: Studio based Instruction during the Pandemic: Akshay Sharma, Chair, Department of Industrial Design (9/16/2022)
- Cultivating the Arts and Humanities at a Land-Grant University: Matthew Sivils, CEAH director, Professor, English Department (9/9/2022)