Congratulations on your decision to join Iowa State’s College of Design! The next step is to accept your offer of admission online. You will be sent an invitation to the College of Design’s orientation once your acceptance fee/deposit is processed.
You will register for your first-semester classes during orientation. Orientation will also increase your knowledge of Iowa State, including important policies and procedures, and help prepare you for the personal and social adjustments you will make upon entering ISU. View our online 2020–2021 Orientation Handbook.
At orientation you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn more about your major
- Meet with an academic adviser
- Register for classes
- Obtain your ISUCard (permanent identification card)
- Sign up for your free Iowa State email account
- Become familiar with the campus
- Consult with a financial aid adviser, if needed
- Learn about resources such as tutoring, counseling and student clubs
- Register for Destination Iowa State
Find out more on the university’s orientation web page
English Placement Information
English placement is based on your ACT-E or SAT-V scores. More information is available online.
Math Placement Information
All new students who enroll in a math course at Iowa State University must take ALEKS, an online math placement assessment. Six (6) credits of math and science courses are needed to apply to any of the College of Design’s degree programs after completing the Core Design Program. You cannot be registered for a MATH course at orientation if you have not completed ALEKS.
Specific program application requirements:
- Architecture: MATH 145 (usually taken in the fall term) and PHYS 111 (usually taken in the spring term)
- Landscape Architecture: MATH 145
Please plan to take ALEKS at least one month before orientation, which allows you time to retake it if you are not satisfied with your initial score. Prepare in advance: start the assessment early in the day and allow at least two hours in order to complete it. More information on the ALEKS assessment is online.
Note: You can still sign up for classes at orientation without having taken ALEKS; however, you will NOT be allowed to register for a MATH course without it.
Contact us for more information
If you need additional information or have questions, please contact us by email, email@example.com.