Geographic Information Science (GISC)
The undergraduate minor in Geographic Information Science (GISC) is an interdisciplinary program that provides students with opportunities to engage the theory, processes, techniques and tools that use spatial data and computational technology to create cutting-edge analysis and mapping approaches for a wide range of fields, such as urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, design, community development, agriculture, environmental sciences, natural resources, sociology, criminology, anthropology, political science, environmental studies and others.
The minor is open to undergraduates in all university majors with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 prior to enrolling.
Students must complete a minimum of 15 undergraduate credits of GIS coursework to receive the minor:
Foundations of GIS – complete the following two courses (6 credits):
- CRP 251X: Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (3 credits), Fall, Spring, Summer
- CRP 351X: Intermediate Geographic Information Systems (3 credits), Fall, Spring, Summer
GIS Tools and Techniques – choose three courses (9 credits) from the following:
- CRP 450X: Geodesign (3 credits), Spring
- CRP 452: Geographic Data Management and Planning Analysis (3 credits), Spring
- CRP 454: Fundamentals of Remote Sensing (3 credits), Spring
- CRP 456: GIS Programming and Automation (3 credits), Fall
- CRP 457X: GeoGames for Civic Engagement (3 credits), Spring
- CRP 458: Web Mapping/GIS (3 credits), Fall
- NREM 345: Natural Resource Photogrammetry and Photo-Interpretation (3 Credits), Fall
- NREM 446: Integrating GPS and GIS for Natural Resource Management (3 Credits), Spring
- GEOL 452: GIS for Geoscientists I (3 credits), Fall, Spring
- GEOL 468x: Applied Geostatistics for Geoscientists
- GEOL 488: GIS for Geoscientists II (3 credits), Spring
At least six (6) of the 15 credits must be taken at Iowa State University in courses numbered 300 and above with a grade of C or higher. At least nine (9) of the 15 credits must not be used to meet any other college or university requirements except the credit requirement for graduation.
How to Add a Minor
Students will be able to add the GISC minor at any point during their program of study. To add the minor, students must:
- Discuss their interest in the minor with their academic adviser.
- Fill out a university Request for Minor form, which must be signed by the student, the student’s adviser and the chair of the Department of Community & Regional Planning. It is recommended that this form be completed at least one semester prior to graduation.
For more information, contact:
Professor Francis Owusu, Chair, Community & Regional Planning