Undergraduate Minors in Design
The College of Design offers or participates in the following eight undergraduate minors. All of these minors, except Textile Design, are open to all undergraduate students at Iowa State University. Textile Design is open to College of Design majors and the Apparel, Merchandising and Design major in the College of Human Sciences.
- Critical Studies in Design: Engage the history, theory and criticism of visual and material culture and the built environment.
- Design Studies: Increase design awareness through interdisciplinary study within the College of Design.
- Digital Media: Explore the use of digital media in the design process.
- Entrepreneurial Studies: Learn about entrepreneurship — the process of creating value through recognizing and developing opportunities.
- Geographic Information Science (GISC): Engage the theory, processes, techniques and tools that use spatial data and computational technology to create cutting-edge analysis and mapping approaches for a wide range of fields.
- Illustration: Explore illustration for books, graphic novels, magazine articles, advertising and concept art for game design and film.
- Textile Design: Explore the design and production of textiles, developing conceptual and technical skills in textile media and techniques.
- Urban Studies: Explore varied and multiple dimensions of urban and community life through differing conceptual and analytical frameworks and learn about the processes of urban growth and change.
Minor Request Form
To declare a minor, you must submit a Request for Minor form to the Design Student Services & Programs Office, 297 Design, at least one semester prior to graduation.