The College of Design at Iowa State University offers immersive, on-campus and off-campus experiences that provide youth with a sense of what it is like to be a student in the college.
Design Dimensions is our six-day, five-night summer camp with day camp option for high school students in June 2019.
Design Dimensions focuses on 2D, 3D and 4D thinking across disciplines while providing hands-on experience with the latest design technology. Discover how to create and manipulate structures and objects, bind books, dye fabrics and so much more!
- Appropriate for students interested in all disciplines offered by the College of Design: architecture, studio/fine arts, community and regional planning, graphic design, interior design, industrial design and landscape architecture
- For students entering 9th through 12th grades and 2018 high school graduates
- Spend nights at the 4-H Center camp site in Madrid, Iowa with access to traditional camp activities include rock wall, ropes courses and trails
- Engage in day programming offered at the College of Design. We’ll provide the transportation, meals, and lodging
- Opportunities available for Science Bound students
- July 8-13, traditional 5-night camp: $495
- July 9-13, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. day camp: $345
Course Instructors & Session Descriptions (2018)
- Alex Braidwood: Graphic Design, sound media and other tools for communication in the graphic design field
- Paul Bruski: Graphic Design, bookbinding and creation of sketchbooks and journals, working with a variety of page layouts and designs
- Clark Colby: Art & Visual Culture, photography and storytelling
- Pete Evans: Industrial Design, FLEx
- Michael Ford: Interior Design, reinterpreting important 2D art into 3D building floor plans. Students will be drawing and reimagining spaces
- Sunghyun Kang: Graphic Design, design and drawing exercises related to campus art around Iowa State University
- Manatsa Mazimbe: Graphic Design, character rendering and animation
- Catherine Reinhart: Studio/Fine Arts, fabrics and processes of dyeing fabrics and turning them into artwork
- Nick Senske: Architecture, digitally fabricated architectural designs
- Bambi Yost: Landscape Architecture, design workshop working with a community near Ames to improve a retirement community outdoor space
2019 Workshops TBA!