Assistant Professor, Architecture
Assistant Professor, Sustainable Environments
158 College of Design
Ames, IA, 50011
Phone: (515) 294-3796
Office: 389 Design
The Department of Architecture welcomed Dr. Andrea Wheeler as a new Assistant Professor in Fall 2013, where is a studio instructor, gives the Fall seminar ARCH 558 Green and Sustainable Architecture and contributes to the teaching of the Masters in Design of Sustainable Environments with the Fall colloquium class. She graduated in Architecture from Oxford Brookes University, gained an MPhil from the School of Mechanical Engineering Oxford Brookes University and was awarded a PhD from the University of Nottingham School of Architecture in 2005. Her thesis examined the question of dwelling through the philosophy of Luce Irigaray. Dr. Wheeler comes to Iowa State after spending the last six years working on architecture related research projects at the Loughborough University and The University of Nottingham in the United Kingdom, and within commerical practice. In 2007 she was awarded a prestigious three year ESRC/EPSRC fellowship award to examine sustainable schools and subsequently worked as a research fellow for a central UK government research unit Defra's Sustainable Behaviors Unit in Westminister, London.
On the Web
Dr. Wheeler’s past projects have focused on the design of educational buildings. She’s interested in both the sustainable architecture of schools, and assessing how different pedagogies and practices embodies in design affect students’ performance. Figuring out this assessment is a complex task due to the numerous variables that can influence students’ success in school on any given day. She has submitted research grants with CBER to ASHRAE to explore the relationship between environmental quality in classrooms, educational performance and student wellbeing. She has been awarded seed research grants from the Iowa Energy Centre and from the Iowa NSF/ESPSCoR Energy Utlization Platform and from the Provost's Office as additional start-up funds. Her current project returns to the question of dwelling and is working closely with the recent environmental philosophy of the French thinker Luce Irigaray.
Andrea has organized a number of conferences, including School Design Futures at St. Hugh’s College, The University of Oxford, bringing together an internationally diverse group of school designers, environmental educators, Head Teachers and academics. She has published empirical and theoretical work in architecture. Notable among her publications are "About being-two in an architectural perspective" in Conversations and "Architectural Issues in Building Community through Luce Irigaray's Perspective on being-two" in Teaching, publications that were both edited by Luce Irigaray.
- $5000 Andrea Wheeler, International Program Grant "Cool Britannia: the British perspective", 01/05/2015
- $20,000 Andrea Wheeler, Iowa NSF EPSCoR Energy Utilization platform (continuation funds 2014 – 2015), 01/05/2015
- $3, 000 Andrea Wheeler, Iowa Energy Centre (IEC) Opportunity Grant for a project entitled: Building a powerful team to research the performance of energy-efficient learning environments;, 01/05/2015
- $33,000 Andrea Wheeler, Provost’s Office additional start-up funds over 3 years (additional RA) (2014 – 2017), 01/05/2014
- GBP 2000 ($3,200) Honorarium, Andrea Wheeler, Sir Ted Happold Senior Research Fellowship, University of Bath, UK July 2014 - August 2014, 01/05/2014
- $22,000 Andrea Wheeler, Match funding (20%) from Iowa Energy Centre (IEC) for an ASHRAE funded project bid application.more, 09/01/2013
- $12, 000 Andrea Wheeler, New Faculty Seed Funds of the Iowa NSF EPSCoR Energy Utilization platform for a project entitled: Iowa's New Schools: A Future Invested in Sustainability (PI) (2013 – 2014)m, 08/16/2013