Soundscape Design: French Quarter, New Orleans
Immerse yourself in the captivating world of soundscape and architecture in the heart of New Orleans. Our course explores one of the world’s most iconic sonic landscapes, unveiling the secrets of designing spaces harmonizing with their acoustic environment. Gain a profound appreciation for New Orleans’s soundscape’s cultural and historical significance while honing your soundscape analysis, psychoacoustics, and architectural sound design skills.
This immersive journey combines theory, practice, and creativity, shaping your understanding of sound’s role in shaping our world and your ability to craft resonant environments.
This course welcomes undergraduate and graduate students passionate about design. Our diverse cohort fosters creative discussions and solutions. If you have a basic grasp of creative coding or microcontrollers, you’ll discover ample opportunities to apply and enhance your knowledge.
- Soundscape Fundamentals: Explore the concept of soundscape through lectures and practical exercises. Understand how sounds influence our perception of spaces and their cultural significance
- Psychoacoustic Insights: Decode psychological and physiological responses to sound. Examine how different sounds affect emotions and behavior, empowering you to design immersive, emotionally resonant spaces.
- Architectural Sound Design Intuition: Cultivate an intuitive understanding of architectural design, focusing on sound. Learn to seamlessly integrate sound into spaces, creating environments that resonate with the human experience.
- Seminars and Readings: Engage in dynamic discussions that complement assigned readings. Challenge yourself to critically evaluate concepts and theories related to soundscapes, culture, and architecture, delving into New Orleans’s cultural, historical, and architectural aspects.
- Environment-turning Workshops: Experiment with physical prototyping and digital sound manipulation tools. Create, capture, edit, and transform sounds, building a creative toolkit for your final project.
- Studio Project: Sound Installation Collaboratively design and construct a sound installation inspired by New Orleans’s unique soundscape. In teams of 2-3, apply your newfound knowledge and artistic sensibilities to create an immersive, thought-provoking installation.
- Assessment: Your studio work, including engagement in experimental activities, seminars, and generative discussions, will be the basis for assessment.
Embark on this transformative journey with us as we explore New Orleans’s vibrant soundscape and unveil the art of designing for sound.
|Meeting days and times:||Monday / Wednesday / Friday, 1:10 p.m. – 5:20 p.m.|
|Variable course fee:||N/A|
|Field trips:||New Orleans|
|Enrollment open to:||All seniors (4th and 5th years) and graduate students in all College of Design majors|
- Good health and well-being
- Reduced inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Climate action
- Peace, justice, and strong institutions