Core Design Program
The Core courses are typically taken over the course of a student’s first academic year at Iowa State University. We recommend two Design courses in the fall semester and two in the spring.
Inside the College of Design
- DSN S 102: Design Studio I: 4.0 credit hours
- DSN S 115: Design Seminar I: 1.0 credit hours*
- DSN S 131: Design Representation: 4.0 credit hours
- DSN S 183: Design Cultures: 3.0 credit hours
Outside the College of Design
- Social Science and/or Humanities Electives: 6.0 credit hours
- Math and/or Science Electives: 6.0 credit hours**
- General Education Electives: 6.0 credit hours
- All students must take ENGL 150 or be placed directly into ENGL 250, which can be taken as a sophomore, prior to application to our enrollment-managed degree programs. Students who advance place into ENGL 250 (determined by ACT-E or SAT-V score) still must complete a total of 30 credit hours prior to applying to enrollment-managed programs. These credits may be counted as electives.
TOTAL 30 credit hours
* Required of all undergraduate students who enter the College of Design. Students who are part of the Design Exchange Learning Community take DSN S 110: Design Exchange Seminar I (1.0 credit hour) in place of DSN S 115.
** Students who intend to apply to the Architecture program are advised to take MATH 145 and PHYS 111 during their Core year. Students who intend to apply to the Industrial Design program are advised to take PHYS 101 or PHYS 111 and a math course during their Core year. Students who intend to apply to the Landscape Architecture program are advised to take MATH 145 during their Core year. While these specific math and science courses are not required to apply to these programs, they are required to advance in the professional programs beyond the first year.