Applying to a Degree Program
After completion of the Core, each student must go to one of the ELO Testing Centers on campus to complete the required essay between April 15 and April 26, 2019, in order to complete the essay requirement of the major application.
Do not wait until the end of this period to write and submit your essay! Expect testing centers to be busy.
Each student will be assigned a prompt on which to write an essay. The prompt is from key concepts presented during DSN S 183: Design Cultures.
The essay should be a thoughtful, clearly written argument in response to the essay prompt. Reviewers will evaluate the essay based on a number of factors that may include; ability to write standard English (mechanics), clarity of argument, appropriateness and specificity of examples used to support your argument, and quality of language (word choice, sentence structure, etc.).
- No notes or electronic devices will be allowed in the testing area.
- Your essay should be at most 500 words in length.
- Do not use formatting tools such as bold, italic, bulleted or numbered lists, different fonts or colors, etc.
- Be sure to save your work as you go.
- You have one hour (60 minutes) to complete and submit your essay.
Students with documented disabilities who have utilized exam accommodations in the past are encouraged to complete a SAAR form with Student Disability Resources staff for the “Core Portfolio Essay” scheduled for April 15–26, 2019. Your signed SAAR form must be presented to Michelle Rasmussen, Design Student Services, 297 Design, by Monday, April 15, 2019 for appropriate accommodations to be made.