Undergraduate and Graduate Convocation
The College of Design’s spring 2018 undergraduate and graduate convocation will take place on Saturday, May 5. This is a separate event from the official Iowa State University commencement ceremony. This event includes bachelor’s and master’s students only from the College of Design and allows students and their guests a more individualized celebration of their achievement.
Diploma covers are not presented at this event—that is part of the university commencement ceremony.
There will be a single college convocation for all degree programs from 9 to 11 a.m. May 5 at Stephens Auditorium. Formal invitations will be mailed to prospective graduates and their families.
Students participating in the College of Design convocation are asked to wear business professional attire. Graduation gowns and caps may be worn at the college ceremony, but this is optional. Academic regalia (caps and gowns) must be worn at the university ceremony.
Candidates for graduation are asked to RSVP online so we will know how many plan to attend. Please go to AccessPlus and under Student, click on the Graduation tab on the side of the page (the link is active until a week before the event).
We ask our guests to park in lots A1-A4, F, and B1 as parking tags or permits are not needed to park in these lots. Click here for an online campus map with parking.
On May 5, students should check in at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the convocation ceremony. Check-in stations will be clearly identified when you arrive. All students will then be directed to a designated area to line up for the procession. Families and guests may find their seats at that time. If you have questions or need assistance throughout the morning, please look for our college staff members — they will be able to help you.
Procession and Ceremony
Participating students will process together and will be seated as a group. When your name is called, you will walk across the stage and be congratulated by college faculty and administrators, then return to your seat until the ceremony ends.
Families may take pictures as their student walks across the stage, and there will be an opportunity for additional photos after the ceremony. Flash Photography will take professional photos. You will receive proofs, both in the mail and electronically, at the addresses you provide when you RSVP for the convocation. If you are interested in ordering photos, instructions to do so will be included with the proofs.
If you have any questions regarding the college convocation, please contact Virgene Monthei, (515) 294-7427, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to recognizing the accomplishments of all of our graduates and to wishing you a personal farewell!
University Graduate, Veterinary Medicine and Undergraduate Commencement Ceremonies
All ISU graduating students are encouraged to attend the university’s official spring 2018 graduation ceremonies. Graduation caps and gowns are the required attire.
- University Graduate Commencement Ceremony:
7 p.m. Thursday, May 3, Hilton Coliseum
- Veterinary Medicine Commencement Ceremony:
12:30 p.m. Saturday, May 5, Stephens Auditorium
- University Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony 1:
10 a.m. Saturday, May 5, Hilton Coliseum
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Ivy College of Business
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- University Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony 2:
2:30 p.m. Saturday, May 5, Hilton Coliseum
- College of Design
- College of Engineering
- College of Human Sciences
Questions about the Veterinary Medicine commencement event should be directed to Mindy Schminke, 294-0772, email@example.com. Questions about all-university commencement events should be directed to the Graduation Office, 294-9372, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other College/Departmental Convocations and Receptions
The spring 2018 schedule of all other college convocations/receptions follows:
Thursday, May 3
- Engineering Graduate College Pre-Commencement Social:
3:45 – 4:30 p.m., 220-240 Scheman Building
Engineering Graduate College Pre-Commencement Reception:
4:30 – 6 p.m., 220-240 Scheman Building
Friday, May 4
- College of Agriculture & Life Sciences Convocation:
10 – 11:30 a.m., Hilton Coliseum
- Ivy College of Business Convocation:
4 – 5:30 p.m., Hilton Coliseum
- College of Human Sciences Convocation:
1 – 2:30 p.m., Hilton Coliseum
Saturday, May 5
- Aerospace Engineering Reception:
8:30 – 10:30 a.m, Howe Hall
- Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering Reception:
9:30 – 11 a.m., Sukup Hall Atrium
- Chemical & Biological Engineering Reception:
8:30 – 10:30 a.m., Benton Auditorium, Scheman Building
- Civil & Environmental Engineering Reception:
9 – 11 a.m., Ames High School Cafeteria
- Construction Engineering Reception:
8:30 – 11 a.m., Ames Middle School Commons
- Electrical & Computer Engineering and Software Engineering Reception:
9 – 10:30 a.m., Coover Hall
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering Reception:
9 – 11 a.m., Troxel Hall
- Materials Engineering Reception:
9 – 11 a.m., Alumni Center
- Mechanical Engineering Reception:
8:30 – 11 a.m., Great Hall, Memorial Union
Questions about college convocations/receptions should be directed to the specific college convocation coordinator:
- Agriculture and Life Sciences: Charley Turner, 294-8653, email@example.com
- Business: Amanda Scott, 294-6882, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Design: Virgene Monthei, 294-7427, email@example.com
- Engineering: Emma Estrada, 294-5933, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Human Sciences: Dynette Mosher, 294-2820, email@example.com
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: Stacey Maifeld, 294-7742, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alumni Association Post-Commencement Reception
The ISU Alumni Association will host a post-commencement reception for spring 2018 graduates at the Alumni Center, 420 Beach Ave., on May 5. The reception will begin immediately after commencement exercises in Hilton Coliseum and run for two hours. It is a free event open to everyone, regardless of alumni or ISUAA member status. Refreshments will be served.