Interviews, Offers, & Negotiation
Practice and preparation makes a big difference! When interviewing, be prepared to address qualifications sought in the job description, demonstrate knowledge about the employer and their projects, ask sincere questions, speak about your experiences and qualifications, and present your portfolio.
Interview preparation resources
- Big Interview offers videos, tools to practice, immediate feedback, help developing responses, negotiation tips, playbooks for addressing different challenges and circumstances in interviewing, and more. Students, create a free account using your ISU email address and alumni may request free access.
- Mock interviews are offered by career services staff. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule. Include your resume and the position description (if available).
- Salary range information can be found using several sources. Design Career Services reports salaries for students’ first destinations after graduation. Other online resources for salary research: Educate to Career, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Coroflot Design Salary Guide, AIA Compensation Salary Survey Calculator, AIGA Survey of Design Salaries, Payscale.com, and/or CNN Money to compare cost of living between two cities.
- LinkedIn Learning includes videos covering interviews, negotiation, attire, job offers, navigating multiple offers, declining offers, and much much more related to job seeking, starting a new position, and work. (FREE, just log in with your ISU email address and search)
- Guide to deciphering “business” and “business casual” attire recommendations
- Big Interview’s suggestions for dressing to meet with potential employers
- LinkedIn Learning includes videos addressing types of attire that may be expected in different situations.
- Free and discounted apparel:ISU FREE POP-UP SHOP
Location: 1009 LeBaron Hall
Wednesday, January 26, 10am-Noon & 1-5pm
Thursday, January 27, 10am-Noon & 1-5pm
Need a shirt, tie, or a whole outfit for an upcoming career fair or interview? The pop-up shop will feature varying sizes and styles of gently-used business attire, accessories, and shoes. No questions asked. Hosted by the College Directors of Multicultural Student Success and funded by Student Government.
JC PENNY SUIT UP EVENT
Location: JCPenney at North Grand Mall (2901 N Grand Ave, Ames, IA)
Sunday, January 30, 2022 4:00-7:00 pm
Bring your Student ID for discounts up to 60% off select careerwear and shoes. Prefer to shop online? Check out the Suit Up page and text IOWASTATE to 67292 to get your coupon.
It is always appropriate to ask for job offers in writing and for time to consider the offer. Offers should include your possible title, start date, salary, and benefits. Health insurance, personal time off (vacation, sick leave, etc), company culture (values, practices, attitudes, customs, etc), promotion opportunities, opportunities to do certain types of work, travel, salary, and location are some considerations when evaluating job or internship offers. Resources:
- LinkedIn Learning includes videos covering job offers, navigating multiple offers, declining offers, and more.
Salary negotiation is common and expected. Be sure to back up your request with information (typical ranges for the location, job) and qualifications that warrant an amount higher than the offer. There may also be other factors that are negotiable. Resources:
- Meet with Design Career Services for assistance understanding or negotiating an offer
- Big Interview also offers a short curriculum on negotiation
- LinkedIn Learning includes videos covering negotiation and more.
Please note that ISU Career Services has a university-wide Interview Cancellation and Late Notice/No Show Policy.