Design Career Fair
Preparing for Career Fairs
Intro to Internships & Job Searching
Wednesday, January 29
5:10 pm, 116 Design
Introduction to resources, tips, and materials needed for job and internship seeking.
Friday, January 31
1-3 pm (drop in), 434 Design
Need to work on your resume or start one from scratch? Drop by to work with help from career services staff. Computers will be available.
Career Fairs 101
Tuesday, February 4
5:10 pm, 116 Design
Learn what to expect at ISU Career Fairs, how to prepare, what to take, and what to say to employers when you get there.
Pop-Up Shop for Business Attire
Thursday, Feb. 6, 10:00am-5:00pm
Friday, Feb. 7, 10:00am-2:00pm
1009 Lebaron Hall
Gently used business attire and accessories will be FREE for students. Hosted by the Directors of Multicultural Student Success and funded by Student Government
Design Career Fair Snacks & Slideshow
Wednesday, February 12
11am – 1pm (drop in), 2nd floor College of Design
Stop by for snacks and a slideshow of images contributed by participating firms, ask any last-minute questions without an appointment, and sign up to volunteer at the event.
Walk-in resume reviews
Thursday, February 13
Friday, February 14
11 am – 2 pm (drop in), 297 Design
Stop by for quick resume reviews prior to the career fair.
Design students should be prepared to interact with firm representatives in a professional manner during any ISU career fairs or campus events.
- Preparing: Begin by researching the participating organizations and working on your resume and portfolio. Practice introducing yourself and speaking about your career interests, skills or projects. Current lists of participating organizations for all ISU career fairs can be found on CyHire. Visit the students section of the Career Services site for resources related to cover letters, interviewing, networking and more.
- Attire: You should dress professionally and similar to how you would dress for an interview. Business suits, slacks, collared shirts, ties, khakis, and knee-length skirts are generally appropriate. When in doubt, overdress and dress conservatively.
- What to take: Bring copies of your resume, your portfolio, and something to use to take notes. A padfolio will give you a place to keep your resumes, store any business cards you collect.
- When you arrive: Check in using your ISU Card (or ID number) and a name tag will be printed for you. When you enter the fair, each participating organization will have a booth display and representatives will be standing at it.
- Be ready to: Introduce yourself and engage the firm representative in conversation about the organization and their work. Share a resume and portfolio. Discuss how your qualifications, experience, and professional interests fit with what the organization does. Keep track of who you met and what you discussed; ask for contact information or a business card so you can follow up after the event.