Assistant Professor, Architecture
158 College of Design
Ames, IA, 50011
Phone: (515) 294-8276
Office: 499 Design
BArch, Iowa State University, 1993
MArch, University of Texas at Austin, 1995
On the Web
Critically integrating structural design considerations of process, production, and performance into technically engaging and experientially rich architecture.
Development & integration of alternative pedagogical methods for teaching building technology integration and analysis including haptic learning techniques and design-centric lab work.
Exploring the role of productive failures in design, particularly in the design ideation, integration and performance of innovative structural systems.
Textbook, "Structural Technology in Practice: Think, Make, Break." Design-based structural exercises applied to a broad range of system classifications (Form, Section, Vector, Surface, and Frame). Text integrates a diversity of generative and analytical techniques (sketching, models, and digital design) as part of the process of learning to design and test responsive structures. Manuscript anticipated completed Fall 2017, Routledge Books.
Design-build prototypes for "Structures in Service: Design for Disaster Relief" (with students). Applications include: deployable origami inspired folded plate shelter, long-span tension and strut tensegrity systems, retrofitting seismic protections for dry-stacked masonry veracular structures, and modular tent flooring system, etc.
Examining the design relationships between Eero Saarinen and his structural engineers to understand the genesis of particular structural forms and their associated innovations in construction methodologies.
- Design Intelligence, 30 Most Admired Educators for 2015, 10/15/2014
- Miller Faculty Fellowship, 10/01/2014
- AIA Iowa Educator Award, 09/20/2014
- Saarinen's Shells: The Evolution of Engineering Influence, 09/15/2014
- Vernon Stone Fund in Architecture, 09/01/2014
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Scholars Program, 09/01/2014
- Brick by Brick: Improved Outcomes Through Linked Learning Objectives in Building Technology Labs, 04/03/2014
- “Pedagogical Progressions: Reflections from an “Integrated” Technology Sequence” , 04/01/2014
- Design Tech: Building Science for Architects textbook, 02/15/2014
- (RE)Covering Shelter: Enhancing Structural Design Pedagogy by Designing for Disaster Relief, 10/17/2013
- ACSA Creative Achievement Award, 03/25/2013
- BTES (Building Technology Educators Society) 2011 Teaching Award, 08/09/2011
- NCARB Grant for the Integration of Practice and Education in the Academy, 12/09/2009
- Honorable Mention, U.S. Green Building Council, Excellence in Green Building Education Awards , 03/09/2009