our rich traditions
Iowa State University's College of Design was created in 1978, when four long-standing departments in other colleges were brought together to create new, dynamic and collaborative experiences for everyone associated with the new college.
Departments and Programs
Architecture courses have been offered at Iowa State since the institution first enrolled students in 1869, although architecture began officially in 1914 as the Department of Structure Design in the Division (College) of Engineering.
Art and design had its roots in the first interior design course offered in 1901; the Department of Applied Art was established in 1924 in the Division (College) of Home Economics (now Human Sciences) and became the Department of Art and Design when it moved to the College of Design. This department was dissolved and became four individual departments in 2012: the Department of Graphic Design, Department of Industrial Design, Department of Integrated Studio Arts and Department of Interior Design.
Landscape architecture courses had been a part of the Division (College) of Agriculture since 1869, and landscape architecture had been its own department since 1929. Regional and urban planning classes offered in the landscape architecture department evolved into the Department of Urban Planning and finally Department of Community and Regional Planning in the 1970s.
By combining these programs under one roof, the College of Design joined a small number of comprehensive design schools in the nation offering outstanding opportunities for both disciplinary and interdisciplinary design education.
Today, the college is home to seven departments: Department of Architecture, Department of Community and Regional Planning, Department of Graphic Design, Department of Industrial Design, Department of Integrated Studio Arts, Department of Interior Design and Department of Landscape Architecture. We offer degrees in architecture (BArch, MS, March); art and design (BA); community and regional planning (BS, MS, MCRP); design (BDes); graphic design (BFA, MA, MFA); environmental graphic design (MA); industrial design (BID, MID); integrated studio arts (BFA); integrated visual arts (MFA); interior design (BFA, MA, MFA) and landscape architecture (BLA, MS, MLA).
The main College of Design building opened in fall 1978 and was dedicated May 5, 1979.